db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Joel Rosi-Schwartz <Joel.Rosi-Schwa...@Etish.org>
Subject SQL exception on shutdown
Date Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:53:55 GMT
[I originally posted this to the user list, then I decided it is really more
of a dev issue. - Sorry]

It seems that shutting down a database always throws an exception, whether or
not the shutdown was successful. On success the ERROR code embedded in the
exception message is "ERROR 08006: Database 'DBNAME' shutdown." This makes it
difficult, if not impossible, to robustly check if the shutdown was
successful or not. Yes, a string compare could be done to the beginning of
the message, but this is fragile if the error message changes. What is the
value of the exception on success? I think this should changed, if for no
other reason then throwing an exception on success is really against best
practises and an anti-pattern to be avoided.

- Joel