db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonas S Karlsson" <...@yesco.org>
Subject Re: moving patches between unix and windows?
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:51:39 GMT

This is a followup regarding line-ending conversion problems reported
by Andrew during application of patches, the solutions seems to be
setting properties correctly as indicated by links in this text...

Me myself wrote:
> I don't think that unixtools expect the source to contain CRLF
> which I believe all of Derby code does. This often shows up as
> "extra" ^M at the end of each line in emacs for example...
>
> It seems that patch does it's best to ignore CRLF in the diff input
> that it takes, but maybe it doesn't handle it in the actual source.

The solution seems to be indicated by using propset as described at
this swedish website:

http://www.contactor.se/~dast/svn/archive-2002-11/0908.shtml
> All right, this is a pretty standard problem if you have files with
> mixed line endings. To answer your original question: no, diff/diff3 do
> not, in general, handle this situation graceully.
>
> Now, please explain why you don't set the property svn:eol-style to
> 'native' on text files? If you do that, Subversion will automagically
> convert the end-of-line markers to whatever is appropriate to the client
> system, and leave them in a canonical form in the repository.
>
> Your recipe for adding new text files should be:
> $ svn add foo
> $ svn propset svn:eol-style native foo
> $ svn commit ...
>
> You can do the same (without the add) to fix your local files, but you
> should convert all line endings to the local style first.

See also part 5 of svn tips:

  http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/08/19/subversiontips.html

There it is also indicated that one can set this as an automatic
property by using the configuration:

  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.0/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.4

This probably means we need to do this for all non-binary files.

/Jonas