db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Derby code copyright question
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:18:06 GMT
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> That is correct. 2 main issues with any codebase
>> that the ASF develops is that (1) it be under the
>> Apache License and (2) that the Copyright be assigned
>> to the ASF.
>>
>> So it must be licensed "by" the ASF (via the AL) and
>> "owned" by the ASF.
>
> That is not correct: CLAs and software grants are licenses,
> not assignments.  Larry Lessig says that the code should retain
> each contributor's copyright.  Apache has traditionally used the
> Apache copyright alone to make it clear that everyone is contributing
> to a joint work, and to avoid issues with ego and territory building.
> Nevertheless, copyright remains with the original contributor and
> only the copyright owner can change the notice.

Larry Rosen, not Larry Lessig.  And we kind of dropped the discussion
before we answered an important question - if the Apache copyright
ownership is used to denote that it's the Apache community's joint effort,
then shouldn't the first commit after the import change that ownership to
Apache, whether or not that commit is made by the original contributor or
not?  The original copyright notice shouldn't be thrown away of course,
but perhaps moved to another part of the package to denote its historic
origin?

 	Brian