db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Derby code copyright question
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:19:15 GMT

On Sep 24, 2004, at 10:27 PM, Jennifer B Machovec wrote:

> The portions of code that are contributed by IBM remain under IBM
> copyright, even if the individual IBM copyright notices are stricken
> from
> the main files.  The statement in the NOTICE file just serves as an
> indicator to others that IBM owns some of the code contained in Derby.

Is there some reason that IBM is unwilling to transfer copyright and
related IP to the ASF?

Traditionally, the only time we distribute code under someone else's
copyright is when we are including other works as a convenience for our
users, such as packaging something in a distribution.  Otherwise, we
tend not to host projects owned by other entities.  Sourceforge is good
for that.

geir

geirm@apache.org