db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Yuill" <pyu...@objectix.com.au>
Subject Re: User Defined Types
Date Sun, 05 Sep 2004 22:06:26 GMT

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 05:08:52 +0200, "Jan Hlavatý" <hlavac@code.cz> said:
> You don't need to be "nonstandard" to get ahead of most "enterprise"
> databases - simple full
> implementation of SQL99 will do ;) Most of them never got past the
> entry-level of SQL92,

Agreed. In my earlier post I should have used the term
"extra-SQL-standard functionality" instead of "non-standard
functionality". I am certainly not advocating any implementation
contrary to the SQL standard, rather functionality that is outside the
standard. Some of that is already standardized elsewhere eg Open GIS
Consortium "Simple Features for SQL". My concern is facilitation of
innovation. As far as data types go I think SQL99 User Defined Types
should do that.

Peter Yuill