db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Samuel Andrew McIntyre <fuzzylo...@nonintuitive.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on a release?
Date Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:44:32 GMT
Hash: SHA1

On Sep 10, 2004, at 1:50 PM, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> I think that in some ways a "baseline" release makes sense anyway 
> regardless
> of fixes - considering that Derby code is already in Production.

I agree that a release of the current code can only be a positive 
thing. It can only help to improve visibility of the project and ease 
of use for users who are interested in using and deploying a 'blessed' 
version of the code, and for developers to have a baseline on which to 
work on bug fixes or submit features.

Also, unless another committer is interested, I would like to volunteer 
as release manager for the release.

I think that the following issues need to be resolved before a baseline 
Derby release can be made:

1 - resolve any remaining IP issues with the current code. As an 
example, please see the "[PATCH] Change Copyright notice..." thread.

2 - Apply all currently pending bug fixes that have been posted to the 
derby-dev mailing list that have consensus for being applied, once the 
Derby committers are able to commit.

3 - Identify any remaining bugs that would be seen as showstoppers to a 
baseline Derby release. What sorts of issues would prevent a release 
from occurring? What sorts of issues would be allowed to get through in 
this first release?

4 - A consensus is reached on the content and form of a Derby release. 
What exactly will be released? Jars, javadoc, and HTML documentation? 
How will it be packaged? In zip format? rpm? Are other package formats 
desired or necessary?

Please feel free to add to this list. I will try to keep track of 
everyone's concerns as they are raised.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)


View raw message