db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Samuel Andrew McIntyre <fuzzylo...@nonintuitive.com>
Subject Re: Maven build?
Date Sat, 28 Aug 2004 06:35:12 GMT
Hi Jeremy,

Maven is certainly an interesting tool, and I would be interested in
seeing how it could be applied to the Derby build, but there is one
problem that I'm not sure Maven handles well: we require the runtime
classes from multiple JDKs in order to build.

Derby currently supports both JDBC 2.0 and JDBC 3.0, and instantiates
the proper driver at runtime based on which version of the JDK in which
Derby is running. This means that we need to compile the driver classes
against the proper interfaces for the java.sql classes from both JDK
1.3.x and JDK 1.4.x. This introduces a peculiar complexity into the
build: when building the JDBC 2.0 driver, we need to make sure that the
compilation classpath only includes the JDK 1.3.x classes, and when
building the JDBC 3.0 driver, we need to make sure that the compilation
classpath only includes the JDK 1.4.x classes. This means that, unlike
most other Java projects, Derby has a specific build order as well:
(roughly) build core classes, build JDBC 2.0 classes, build JDBC 3.0
classes, build remainder. As you can imagine, once the JDBC 4.0
specification is released, this situation will become even more
complex, or will remain at least as complex.

Maven's dependency system is an excellent idea, but I'm not sure that
it is currently able to handle this situation. It seems like the
runtime classes for compilation of a project are always assumed to be
those of the JDK in which Maven is running. And while it is probably
possible to write a plugin for Maven that would handle compiling
against the runtime classes for multiple JDK revisions, it is probably
not legal to add the Java runtime classes for the JDKs we compile
against to Maven's dependency repository. :)

All that said, the rest of the build seems like it might fit into the
Maven model. And I like Maven's goal of project cross-pollination and
how it integrates with the other Apache projects. I for one would be
very interested to see how well Maven is able to handle our build, so
if you are willing to try it out, feel free to do so, and post your
findings here.

Thanks,
Andrew