db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jack Klebanoff <kleba...@Mutagen.Net>
Subject Trigger Bug Fix
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:05:39 GMT
I would like to submit a fix for a bug in triggers.

The bug is that a trigger of the form:
  create trigger ... values myFunction();
has no effect. MyFunction is not called even if the trigger is fired.
Side effects of myFunction do not happen. Derby does not allow a "CALL"
statement inside a trigger action so a values statement is the only way
to call a function/procedure in a trigger action.

The cause of the bug is that since the values are not actually used by
the trigger, the trigger code does not fetch the row(s) returned by the
trigger action. The fix is simple: change class
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.GenericTriggerExecutor to fetch (and
discard) the rows returned by a trigger action.

Please review the change. The diff file is attached.

I am an IBM employee and I have worked on Cloudscape for several years.
However I am not a Derby committer. This is my first submission. I am
learning the process.

Jack Klebanoff