db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use DDLUtils with SQLite?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 04:02:05 GMT
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Douglas McCarroll
<list.ddlutils-user.001@brightworks.com> wrote:

>  I'd like to use DDLUtils with SQLLite. I've spent a fair amount of time
>  searching through both mailing lists and Jira, and it appears that it is
>  possible - see Jira entry below - but this Jira entry is the only thing I've
>  been able to find that gives any info at all.
>
>  While the Jira post says that SQLite support isn't being actively developed
>  it looks as if there's enough functionality in place to create a DB from a
>  DDL file, which is all I need to do.

When I last looked at SQLite JDBC support, there was only a very basic
alpha-level JDBC driver available which did not offer a whole lot of
functionality.
However, it seems development of JDBC support has picked up again:

http://www.zentus.com/sqlitejdbc/index.html

>  Can someone point me in the direction of an explanation of how to go about
>  this?

Adding support for a database basically involves implementing three classes:

* a platform implementation which defines jdbc <-> native type
mappings and behavior of the database/JDBC driver
* a subclass of the sql builder to override the default SQL with
native variants as necessary
* a subclass of the jdbc model reader if database specific handling of
metadata is required (because e.g. the JDBC driver does not expose all
metadata)

And in general, the goal is to get the unit tests working.

There is no direct documentation for how to add a database, so I would
suggest you have a look at one of the simpler DB platform
implementations such as HsqlDB or McKoi.

>  Are Ant & API both options?

I don't quite understand what you mean ? If you implement the API
part, then the Ant handling will work automatically.

>  And, BTW, does DDLUtils have a wiki?

Yes, sort of. You probably want

http://wiki.apache.org/db-ddlutils/How_to_create_other_database_implementations

though it does not contain a lot of info.

But, please feel free to join the developer mailing list and ask if
you need any help.

cheers,
Tom