db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Brian Devaney" <bdeva...@docfinity.com>
Subject Re: DDL Utils...
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:24:57 GMT
I have run into something like this myself.  From what I have seen, if
you change a column from NULL to NOT NULL and there is data in the
table, you must give the column a default value to fill in.  Then the
update commands will force a rebuild of the entire table.  The data will
be copied to a temporary table.  The original table will be deleted and
then the modified table created in its place.  After that, the data from
the temporary table will be copied back into the updated table with the
default value being added into the NOT NULL column, if there was no
value present in the original data.

-----Original Message-----
From: satz [mailto:satyam.bhatnagar@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 9:56 AM
To: ddlutils-user@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: DDL Utils...

:) logically yes....But Even if theres a default value specified, the
Code
doesn't apply the same as it categorises this change to be different
from
ColumnRequiredChange and handles it differntly. Atlease it doesnt force
the
DefaultValueChange to be applied beforehand.. so still lookin for an
answer!!! :(

Jun Li-2 wrote:

> I think you have to define the default value in that case. Otherwise,
you
> will lost your data.
>
> On 10/4/07, callme_sanjay <callme_sanjay@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hello Team,
>>
>> when the table already has data how is the utility taking
>> care of updating existing columns from NULL to NOT NULL...
>>
>> Please reply
>> On Behalf of Satyam B.
>>
>> --
Nabble.com.