db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Advices for XML data file transformation
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:06:49 GMT
On 10/30/07, Laurent ROCHE <laurent_roche@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am a complete novice to XML (I have used it and understand if but I have never programmed
anything with it).

> I am now in the case where I am doing an export of data (using ddl-utils) from database
A and I need to import the data into database B.
> However, tables in database A have extra columns (the last 3, identical in all tables)
that are not present in database B.

> How do I achieve this ?
>
> Can DdlUtils do that on its own ? (Can I export data without the last 3 columns, that
will be the best option as the files generated will be smaller)
> Do I need to modify the XML file generated with a (Java) program ?

DdlUtils will export the tables and columns that are in the database
model that you give it. This means that if the model for database A
that you use to export the data, does not contain these columns, then
DdlUtils won't export them.
You can also adjust the data XML file using for instance XSLT, which
basically defines a transformation XML -> XML. In this XSLT 'script'
you simply ignore the XML attribute values that correspond to these
columns.

Tom