db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: schema and catalog documention
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 03:50:30 GMT
On 9/17/07, Laurent ROCHE <laurent_roche@yahoo.com> wrote:

> in the Ant tasks documentation about the schemapattern and catalogpattern parameters,
on can read:
>  For some  more info on xxx patterns and JDBC, see  java.sql.DatabaseMetaData.
>
> However looking up the   java.sql.DatabaseMetaData documentation, I could hardly found
any additional information ! !
> I am not sure this link is very relevant ... or may be more something like:
>  For general info on xxx patterns and JDBC, see  java.sql.DatabaseMetaData.
>
> Then again, it might be ME not being able to find the information: I find it hard to
beleive that on this page (java.sql.DatabaseMetaData) they don't even have something like
> A schema is a notion defined (most of the time in a different way) for each RDMS that
allows to group a set of tables together.
> (I believe the same phrase could be used for catalog)
>
> May be this phrase could be added in the Ant tasks documentation ?

Well, JDBC and also DdlUtils assume a certain familiarity with
(relational) database concepts and terms. For some basic info about
schemas in the world of databases see e.g. the documentation for the
particular database that you're using or Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_modeling).

Tom