db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From Ricardo Palomares <rpmdisguise-j...@yahoo.es>
Subject Re: SQL Exception on trying to add some foreign keys constraints with DdlUtils
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 17:18:34 GMT
Thomas Dudziak escribió:
> Think of it this way: the primary key sort-of defines the identity of
> the row. So, if L10NCODE uniquely defines a row in the table (and thus
> could be used for primary key), then all you have to ask yourself is:
> does it make sense in your application to have L10NCODE be the primary
> key ? This is not so much a database question but a application design
> question. Imagine that you have multiple unique columns in the table,
> which one would you choose for the primary key (if any) ?

Definitely, I'll remove the ID field. The actual reason I added these
"sintetic" ID fields is because I've read so much about the goodness
of using them, instead of the otherwise natural PKs, to speed up
databases, that I bit the bullet and ended declaring them for every
table as a sign of a well designed database. Novice sins, I guess.

Thank you very much for your time.

Ricardo