db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: supporting additional databases: teradata?
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 03:39:00 GMT
On 12/7/06, Michael Nielsen <ggsmnielsen@yahoo.com> wrote:

>   I was wondering:  Has anyone has tried to use DdlUtils with Teradata?  Or, perhaps
someone has found workarounds to generate a schema from generic XML to something relatively
Teradata-like?

Nope, I don't know of anybody using that database.

>   (Does anyone know the "closest" flavor of SQL to Teradata's SQL?  I'm looking for a
good starting point for subsequent hand-tweaking of SQL...)

Unfortunately, the SQL reference has to be bought as a book, so
there's no easy way to tell. And I don't see any evaluation or
developer versions of their product, so it is quite difficult to
develop for.
But their website states that Oracle customers have migrated to
Teradata, so this might be a place to start.

>   Alternatively, if there's a by-numbers approach to adding support for additional databases,
I might look into that.  So far, I've just been using the Ant tasks & haven't really looked
at the code too much....  But if it takes less time to write the code than to tweak the SQL,
I'd be up for that.

Basically you'd have to implement the
* sql builder (generates SQL statments to do something in the database),
* the model reader (reads the JDBC metadata provided by their driver
as well as system tables as necessary, in order to generate a DdlUtils
model from a live database)
* the platform itself (defines the type mapping and platform constraints)
Also, you should try to make the unit tests run (run them via Ant e.g.
against Derby to see what they do).
The existing database platforms should provide a good base. If you use
a simple java library like e.g. McKoi, HsqlDb or Derby, you can see
how they work and what you need to provide by checking the code.

Tom