db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From John Currier <currier_j...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: generating documentation
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 05:54:10 GMT

Stephan, you can modify SchemaSpy's .properties files to pull comment
information from wherever you want.  In your db's .properties files you
would put a selectTableCommentsSql and/or a selectColumnCommentsSql line
specifying the SQL that returns your comments.  The first SQL needs to
return table_name and comments for a given schema (optional) while the
second also needs to return column_name.

I don't believe that this feature is in the released version, but it's
available
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=737990&aid=1537790&group_id=137197
here .

John
http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net

Stephan Kozel wrote:

> Hi Achim,
> thank you very much for your reply. SchemaSpy is a nice tool but does
> not suite our requirements.
>
> The problem is that we are using different databases and can't store the
> comments for the tables / fields directly in the databases. So we want
> to generate the db-schema.xml using DdlUtils and add the description to
> the table / field definitions with an extra attribute (description /
> comment) manually. After that we want to generate a html / xdoc / pdf
> documentation on the basis of the edited db-schema.xml.
> As you know without comments the database documentation is useless.
>
> Do you have any ideas / suggestions how we could do this?
>
> thx a lot
> Stephan
>
> Joachim Wackerow schrieb:
>> Try SchemaSpy at sourceforge. It reads your database directly (without
>> DdlUtils schema).
>>
>> Achim

Sent from the Apache DdlUtils - User forum at Nabble.com.