db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From Stephan Kozel <s.ko...@3united.com>
Subject Re: generating documentation
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:58:49 GMT
Hi Achim,
thank you very much for your reply. SchemaSpy is a nice tool but does
not suite our requirements.

The problem is that we are using different databases and can't store the
comments for the tables / fields directly in the databases. So we want
to generate the db-schema.xml using DdlUtils and add the description to
the table / field definitions with an extra attribute (description /
comment) manually. After that we want to generate a html / xdoc / pdf
documentation on the basis of the edited db-schema.xml.
As you know without comments the database documentation is useless.

Do you have any ideas / suggestions how we could do this?

thx a lot
Stephan

Joachim Wackerow schrieb:
> Try SchemaSpy at sourceforge. It reads your database directly (without
> DdlUtils schema).
>
> Achim
>
> Stephan Kozel wrote:
>> Hi everyone!
>> I am using DdlUtils to generate the db-schema.xml of our database
>> (with DatabaseToDdlTask).
>>
>> Now that I have this pretty db-schema.xml I am wondering how to
>> generate html / xdoc / pdf documentation out of this file. Can
>> someone please tell me how to do that?
>>
>> thx a lot
>> Stephan

Dipl.Ing.(FH) Stephan Kozel
Platform Development
three united mobile solutions ag
A VeriSign Company
a: Hasnerstrasse 123, A-1160 Wien
t: +43 (1) 595 58 05-511
f: +43 (1) 595 58 05-55
e: s.kozel@3united.com
w: http://www.3united.com

Notice to Recipient:

This e-mail may contain CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION intended solely for the recipient
and may not be retransmitted or copied to any party outside of the recipient's organization
without the prior written consent of the sender.