db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem With Platform.alterTables(Database, boolean, boolean, boolean)
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 05:39:42 GMT
On 7/27/06, Big Jim <bigjim@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> I am using dbutils to update a MSSQL database.  My code contains the
> following statement:  platform.alterTables(database, false, true,
> false); which according to the API doc should tell dbuitls to NOT
> attempt to drop columns in the existing database.table that are not in
> the xml schema.  Despite setting the dodrop flag to false dbutils is
> attempting to drop the colomn.  This would not be a problem except that
> the column has a default constraint which is not being dropped first
> which causes an SQL exception can't drop column because it depends on
> constraint.  Is there a way around this other then to put the column in
> question back into the schema so dbutils does not try to drop it?

Ups, yes, this parameter are legacy (I created an issue so that we
don't forget to remove these flags).
The current alteration algorithm will change the database so that it
matches the given model. If you want to maintain the column, then
you'll have to put it into this model.
If however you want to drop it, and this fails, then please open a
JIRA issue for this as it is apparently a bug.

Tom