db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Carlson" <Jonathan.Carl...@katun.com>
Subject Re: Adding Meta-Data Information into Database Schema
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:24:41 GMT
It doesn't sound like you need my encouragement, but I think a place for
comments would be great.  Oracle allows field and table comments in
their database, but there's no db-agnostic way of doing it that I know
of.

- Jonathan

>>> tomdzk@gmail.com 2006-04-16 6:32:38 PM >>>
On 4/13/06, Tom Schindl <tomatlinux@gmx.at> wrote:

> Until now I have create my databases using the eclipse clay-plugin
and
> have written an utility to create nice looking HTML-documentation
from
> it (see http://oss.bestsolution.at/java/clay2ojb.html.en and
> http://publicsvn.bestsolution.at/repos/java/clayUtils/trunk/).
>
> Clay is nice but it has many different problems i don't want to
outline
> here but the key point is that I started looking for other formats
> store databases and found this project ;-)
>
> I've taken a look to the database definition and think that it would
be
> a greate thing if documentation could be added using an element
> <comment></comment> and not using an attribute.

While that certainly is helpful, the DTD is currently fixed as it is
shared with the Torque project and it should be kept this way. Once
the 1.0 of DdlUtils is out, I'm going to adress this issue (possibly
with a schema instead of a DTD) which would make these changes a lot
easier.
Anyway, feel free to add an issue in JIRA for this.

> One more question are you interested in an ant task which can
generate
> fully nice looking HTML-Dokumenation from the schema.xml and if I
would
> contribute it add it to the project sources?

Hmm, I wonder, would a nice XSLT (perhaps with some Java extensions)
suffice ? This would make it easy to generate HTML or PDF (using FOP)
via Ant's style task. And users can adapt the stylesheets to their
liking.

Tom

the system manager.

Katun Corporation -- www.katun.com