db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Philip Mark Donaghy" <philip.dona...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem writing sql to file
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:41:55 GMT
On 4/13/06, Thomas Dudziak <tomdzk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/13/06, Ken Weiner <kweiner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you Phil.  My output file finally wasn't blank after adding the
> > alterDatabase=false attribute as you suggested.  I am wondering though
> > if this is the expected behavior.  I am guessing that it is a bug
> > since it doesn't make sense to output a blank file.  I'll file an
> > issue in JIRA to find out.
>
> Nope, the problem was that there was some problem accessing the
> database to create the alteration SQL (alterDatabase=true is the
> default), e.q. you didn't define a database connection or something
> similar. You should see some error in the output of Ant (try running
> Ant with the -v or the -debug option to get more output).
>
> Tom

OK I'm starting to understand. With alterDatabase true it will alter
existing schema given that it has a connection. But correct me if I am
wrong, when there is no connection and the objective is to obtain a
ddl creation script for a given database using writeSchemaSqlToFile,
the alterDatabase false is required. You explained this to me at
ApacheCon San Diego but it's still unclear.

writeSchemaSqlToFile should just test if a connection has been
established ignore alterDatabase attribute and write the file. Is this
possible? There may be some logic that I am missing but I only use
ddlutils for this purpose. I think I will do some more work with it in
the future for dumping data.

Phil

--
Philip Donaghy