db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From Tom Schindl <tomAtLi...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Adding Meta-Data Information into Database Schema
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:19:39 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On 4/17/06, Tom Schindl <tomAtLinux@gmx.at> wrote:
>

>>I've created a jira(DDLUTILS-94) entry where I've attached a sample of
>>how I think HTML-Generation could look like(customization is done using
>>css).
>

> I only had a glance at it, but I wondered why do you need the Ant task
> ? Wouldn't Ant's style task suffice ?

Well I'm creating not only one document from it but multiple ones:
1_overview.html
2_employee.html
2_address.html
2_${tablename}.html
3_index.html

I couldn't see how this could be done using the style task but I must
admit I haven't used the style task before ;-) You can try it by just un
packing my source into you eclipse project.

>>I've also already worked on an XSL to create PDF using FOP but I have
>>nothing to show up here at the moment. Other things I'm working on
>>currently:
>>- GEF DB-Designer emitting database.xml (at the moment I'm using clay
>>  but I not really happy with it)
>>- Inclusion of auto-generated ER-Diagramms into HTML using batik and
>>  SVG.
>>- Utility to convert clay-files into database.xml
>

> Cool stuff! I only tried Clay once but found it didn't do what I
> needed at that time (so I stayed with Visio then).

The most problematic stuff in clay is:
- staying database neutral
- drawing connections between models (only straight lines)

>>At the moment I think the database schema has the following shortcomings:
>>- only one schema
>>  => no foreign keys about schema boundries
>

> That is not exactly true because you can have multiple schemas in one
> XML file if you make the table names fully qualified, e.g.
> schemaName.tableName.

I see. But it's not really nice a more proper design would be:
--------------8<--------------
<project>
<database>
<!-- -->
</database>
<database>
<!-- -->
</database>
<database ref="file:///user-db.xml" />
</project>

This would allow me to source in other databases into all projects ;-)