db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From Tom Schindl <tomAtLi...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Adding Meta-Data Information into Database Schema
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:37:29 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On 4/13/06, Tom Schindl <tomatlinux@gmx.at> wrote:
>

>>Until now I have create my databases using the eclipse clay-plugin and
>>have written an utility to create nice looking HTML-documentation from
>>it (see http://oss.bestsolution.at/java/clay2ojb.html.en and
>>http://publicsvn.bestsolution.at/repos/java/clayUtils/trunk/).
>>
>>Clay is nice but it has many different problems i don't want to outline
>>here but the key point is that I started looking for other formats to
>>store databases and found this project ;-)
>>
>>I've taken a look to the database definition and think that it would be
>>a greate thing if documentation could be added using an element
>><comment></comment> and not using an attribute.
>

> While that certainly is helpful, the DTD is currently fixed as it is
> shared with the Torque project and it should be kept this way. Once
> the 1.0 of DdlUtils is out, I'm going to adress this issue (possibly
> with a schema instead of a DTD) which would make these changes a lot
> easier.
> Anyway, feel free to add an issue in JIRA for this.
>

>>One more question are you interested in an ant task which can generate
>>fully nice looking HTML-Dokumenation from the schema.xml and if I would
>>contribute it add it to the project sources?
>

> Hmm, I wonder, would a nice XSLT (perhaps with some Java extensions)
> suffice ? This would make it easy to generate HTML or PDF (using FOP)
> via Ant's style task. And users can adapt the stylesheets to their
> liking.
>
> Tom

I've created a jira(DDLUTILS-94) entry where I've attached a sample of
how I think HTML-Generation could look like(customization is done using
css).

I've also already worked on an XSL to create PDF using FOP but I have
nothing to show up here at the moment. Other things I'm working on
currently:
- GEF DB-Designer emitting database.xml (at the moment I'm using clay
  but I not really happy with it)
- Inclusion of auto-generated ER-Diagramms into HTML using batik and
  SVG.
- Utility to convert clay-files into database.xml

At the moment I think the database schema has the following shortcomings:
- only one schema
  => no foreign keys about schema boundries
- no place for multiline comments
- no possibility to place custom data

Tom