db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding Meta-Data Information into Database Schema
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:07:33 GMT
On 4/17/06, Tom Schindl <tomAtLinux@gmx.at> wrote:

> I've created a jira(DDLUTILS-94) entry where I've attached a sample of
> how I think HTML-Generation could look like(customization is done using
> css).

I only had a glance at it, but I wondered why do you need the Ant task
? Wouldn't Ant's style task suffice ?

> I've also already worked on an XSL to create PDF using FOP but I have
> nothing to show up here at the moment. Other things I'm working on
> currently:
> - GEF DB-Designer emitting database.xml (at the moment I'm using clay
>   but I not really happy with it)
> - Inclusion of auto-generated ER-Diagramms into HTML using batik and
>   SVG.
> - Utility to convert clay-files into database.xml

Cool stuff! I only tried Clay once but found it didn't do what I
needed at that time (so I stayed with Visio then).

> At the moment I think the database schema has the following shortcomings:
> - only one schema
>   => no foreign keys about schema boundries

That is not exactly true because you can have multiple schemas in one
XML file if you make the table names fully qualified, e.g.
schemaName.tableName.

> - no place for multiline comments
> - no possibility to place custom data

Well, yes. If you turn off validation, then you should be able to
insert your own elements - the parsing should be unaffacted as long as
the original structure is maintained.
But surely, a schema with proper extension points would be nicer.

Tom