db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: postgres bytea broken
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:52:21 GMT
On 4/12/06, Jason <jeacott@hardlight.com.au> wrote:

>         I'm currently using pg74.216.jdbc3.jar as the postgres jdbc driver.
> *note this works fine in my application for eg
> rs.getBlob(1).getBinaryStream()

you should definitely use the newest stable driver available (8.1 I think).

>   I looked at converter, but since I didnt have a readytogo class I
> didnt pursue it, also I have quite a few tables and many bytea type
> fields all of which would need to be individually handled this way. I
> was hoping to avoid that.

You only need to add the converter sub-element in the Ant task, and
the one pre-defined converter that I pointed you to might actually do
the trick.

> is there anyway to force it top be recognised as a Blob instead?

nope, the jdbc driver flags it as BINARY, not LONGVARBINARY or BLOB.

> presumable the byte[] returned is complete and that wouldnt be good for
> out of mem problems with large datafields (plus the jdbc driver is very
> evil in that it also doesn't nicely stream when asked, instead it also
> buffers the complete field in ram at least once, and probably does a few
> nasty copies for fun.)

since the 7.4 driver there have been numerous fixes and enhancements
in the postgres driver, so you should definitely try a newer one.

Tom