db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From Joachim Wackerow <wacke...@zuma-mannheim.de>
Subject Re: Comments in DTD at wrong place?
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:56:40 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On 3/15/06, Joachim Wackerow <wackerow@zuma-mannheim.de> wrote:
>
>> writeDtdToFile can generate a DTD for the data specified in the model.
>>
>> Comments are written to the DTD file inside the attribute declaration.
>> Is this really the right place? XML Spy reports an error. I am not sure,
>> if comments are allowed inside of the attribute declaration of a XML
>> DTD. I didn't find an description where comments in a XML DTD are
>> allowed. In a SGML DTD comments (starting with -- ) are allowed anywhere.
>>
>> Is this a bug of DdlUtils or of XML Spy?
>
> I didn't yet receive a complaint of an XML parser, but honestly, I
> didn't check the DTD grammar either. Anyway, I will change the
> generated DTD so that it follows the style of DTDDoc
> (http://dtddoc.sourceforge.net), so that one can generate nice HTML
> documentation out of it.
This is a good idea.

> Could you perhaps create an issue in JIRA ?
>
> cheers,
> Tom

I created a bug issue in JIRA.

In general I would prefer XML Schema. With XML Schema the data type
definition is more detailled. For documentation a similar tool as dtddoc
exists: xsddoc (http://xframe.sourceforge.net/xsddoc/). I am aware, that
writing XML Schema's is more complicated than DTD's.

Achim