db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: DdlUtils example for Derby
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:53:14 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On 3/11/06, Jean T. Anderson <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>

>>Every now and then there are posts to the derby-user list about how to
>>migrate databases to Derby, so I added a writeup to the Derby site on
>>how to use DdlUtils to migrate databases to Derby:
>>
>>   http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/db_ddlutils.html
>>
>>I'd appreciate any corrections or improvements you could suggest.
>

> Thanks Jean! I just saw it on the derby-user list, and it looks great.
> Just a few minor comments:
>
> * One important thing that you should note is that the model uses only
> JDBC datatypes. This is a 'limitation' which might bite a few people,
> espcially when the driver is old (and for instance reports OTHER
> instead of something useful) or the database has a somewhat different
> type concept (such as Oracle's NUMBER type).

Thanks -- how "old" creates a problem?

> * Instead of using ";create=true" you could use the createDatabase
> subtask (with failOnError=false) which has the advantage that it hides
> the DB-specific details of creation.

ok, I'll try that.  When I initially used the createDatabase subtask I
got an error, but I was fumbling quite a bit and assumed it wasn't
supported for Derby. I'll try again.

> * The database name (when writing a schema to XML) is derived from the
> schema name in the db. If there is none (as for Derby), currently null
> is used (which is not written to XML). I'll fix that tomorrow :-)

So DdlUtils will automatically fill in that name in the schema file?
i.e., I manually added it:

   <database name="MigrateTest">

> I'll plan on updating the website tomorrow (there have been a couple
> of changes).

thanks!

 -jean