db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DdlUtils example for Derby
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:46:12 GMT

> Every now and then there are posts to the derby-user list about how to
> migrate databases to Derby, so I added a writeup to the Derby site on
> how to use DdlUtils to migrate databases to Derby:
>
>    http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/db_ddlutils.html
>
> I'd appreciate any corrections or improvements you could suggest.

Thanks Jean! I just saw it on the derby-user list, and it looks great.
Just a few minor comments:

* One important thing that you should note is that the model uses only
JDBC datatypes. This is a 'limitation' which might bite a few people,
espcially when the driver is old (and for instance reports OTHER
instead of something useful) or the database has a somewhat different
type concept (such as Oracle's NUMBER type).

* Instead of using ";create=true" you could use the createDatabase
subtask (with failOnError=false) which has the advantage that it hides
the DB-specific details of creation.

* The database name (when writing a schema to XML) is derived from the
schema name in the db. If there is none (as for Derby), currently null
is used (which is not written to XML). I'll fix that tomorrow :-)

I'll plan on updating the website tomorrow (there have been a couple
of changes).

cheers,
Tom