db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From Christian.Eugs...@kost.admin.ch
Subject RE: NullPointerException creating a new platform instance using h sqld b
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:50:50 GMT

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Thomas Dudziak [mailto:tomdzk@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 16. Februar 2006 11:46
An: ddlutils-user@db.apache.org
Betreff: Re: NullPointerException creating a new platform instance using
hsqld b

On 2/16/06, Christian.Eugster@kost.admin.ch
<Christian.Eugster@kost.admin.ch> wrote:

> I try to use an hsqldb database in my application. The following code
throws
> a NullPointerException at the last line (>):
>
>         Class.forName( "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" );
>         org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcDataSource ds = new
> org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcDataSource();
>         ds.setDatabase(db.getName());
>         ds.setUser("sa");
>         ds.setPassword("");
> >       Platform platform = PlatformFactory.createNewPlatformInstance(ds,
> "sa", "");
>
> The hsqldb server ist running...
>
> The Exception:

>         at

org.apache.ddlutils.PlatformUtils.determineDatabaseType(PlatformUtils.java:2
> 48)

Since I've never used the Hsqldb DataSource (I always use DBCP with
Hsqldb), I can only guess here, but looking at the code, its either
that the data source does not return a connection (but does not throw
a SQL exception either as it is supposed to do), or that the
connection does not return a metadata object (and does not throw a SQL
exception either as it is supposed to do).
Either way, could you try this with DBCP instead of the Hsqldb data
source just to see whether it works then ?

Tom