db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From Guy Davis <da...@guydavis.ca>
Subject Ant/DDLUtils questions
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2006 01:46:13 GMT
Hi all,

I was hoping you would be able to answer a few of my questions about
DDLUtils.  Some are questions about DDLUtils functionality; if DDLUtils
can't do the request currently I'd like to hear if you think it could or
whether it should.  I'd like to contribute (coding, testing, docs) to
new features deemed useful and possible by the group.

1) The XML file of data dumped from DatabaseToDdl using writeDataToFile
now loads without a DOCTYPE declaration being added when I use
validateXml="false" in my DdlToDatabase tag.  (Thanks Thomas!)  However,
the root tag of the the dump (from Oracle 10g EE) is just <database>.
When I load, I get an error saying I need a 'name' attribute on the root
tag.  If I manually add it giving: <database name='SomeName'> then my
load works fine.  Is there any way to have the name added to the file
automatically?  If so, what is the setting?

2) I am unable to get the ON DELETE CASCADE behavior of foreign keys to
be recorded when dumping schema to XML.  I have verified that my Oracle
table has a foreign key with Delete Rule set to Cascade, but a schema
dump does not add `onDelete="cascade"` to the <foreign key> tag in the
schema.xml.  I can add this attribute to the schema file manually, but a
load (DdlToDatabase) seems to silently ignore them when creating
tables.  Any ideas?

3) I'd like to add a db.clean target to my Ant build file that drops all
everything (tables, etc) leaving an empty database.  Is there anything
in DDLUtils that can do this for the different database types?

4) Is there any way to essentially diff two schema XML files and
generate database-specific SQL that can be saved to a file?  Ideally,
I'd like to use for handling database upgrades of our
product.  This seems to be almost what the WriteSchemaToDatabase command
is doing for a single schema and a live database with
alterDatabase=true.   Would it be possible to replace the live database
with a second schema and then have the SQL sent to a file rather than to
the live database?

5) Similarly to #4, but diffing two sets of data that has been dumped to
XML and generating database specific SQL.  Is this even possible for all
the different ways to change data?  This seems much harder than #4.

Thanks in advance,
Guy