db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: oracle database model dangerously broken
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:40:14 GMT
On 2/7/06, Tim Dudgeon <tdudgeon@informaticsmatters.com> wrote:

> By this do you mean abstracting the issue of  ID generation? e.g .
> if oracle -> use a sequcnce
> if hsql -> use integer IDENTITY column
> if mysql -> use integer autoincrement

No (DdlUtils already does this in exactly the way you described).
Rather I was speaking of the ability to define a sequence in the
schema a database independent manner (for whatever purpose) and
DdlUtils will then write it to the database (if supported). Same could
probably be said for triggers and perhaps even stored procedures.
Likewise, DdlUtils should - as far as possible - read sequence
definitions from a database when generating a schema from a live
database.

> Reading it from an exising db would be trickier - in oracle I don't
> think the sequence is not specifically associated to the table it is
> being used by, so DDLUtils would need some hints?

Correct. Right now, DdlUtils cannot read sequences or triggers back
from an Oracle database.

Tom