db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: oracle database model dangerously broken
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 00:12:32 GMT

> Thanks for bearing with me here. I realize I'm raising use-cases that
> are not in the DdlUtils sweet spot perhaps; however, these cases are
> very important for the object-relational space I'm targeting.

Of course you're welcome to help making DdlUtils better (and more versatile) :-)

> Not really. If I want to use the Oracle database schema in a number
> of different use-cases, I want a library that gives me access to the
> specific column types. It's not portable across Oracle and Informix;
> it's portable across execution environments of my use-cases.

Ah, now I see where you're heading. Of course not even two Oracle
environments are alike (you might say different levels of
compatibility). But you're right, that might be useful, though not
really what DdlUtils is about currently.
I guess a simple change as a native type hint specifiable at a column
might already go some way in that direction.

> Right, especially if the user can tell us how big their Strings are
> so we can map to the correct abstract database type. But I also want
> the user to be able to tell us about a specific Oracle type in case
> they know they want Oracle and don't care about database portability.

Yep, native type hint.

> I agree that for this use-case, you would need a transformation from
> the Oracle types to the other database types, and do this
> transformation during a "copy schema" operation that would take the
> Oracle representation and apply some transformation rules to produce
> the other database format. I would see this transformer program as a
> utility not as a DdlUtils core feature.

Sure, and if only because the JDBC types are probably too limited for this.

Tom