db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Carlson" <Jonathan.Carl...@katun.com>
Subject Re: other open source projects using ddlutils?
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:32:56 GMT
I just learned that Cayenne (http://objectstyle.org/cayenne)  will be
able to use a generic DataObject class in their 1.2M9 build.  They have
a lot of accessible metadata just like DDLUtils does; but their downside
is that they can't/don't alter the database like DDLUtils does.  Their
upside is that they have all the nice persistence optimizations like
lazy loading of related rows, prefetching, catching, etc.

Too bad the XML data definition formats between the two are different
:-(

>>> mllist@mvdb.net 2005-12-08 3:04:48 PM >>>
Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Carlson wrote:
> I'm curious if there are any open-source projects, other than Torque
and
> OJB, using DDLUtils.

I cannot think of one actually.

> It would be cool to see an open-source web-based database management
> app using it.

Absolutely agree. Who knows one day I will open source mine, although
my solution has the goal of actually totally hiding the concept of
"databases" to the users.
Though I can think of lot's of other open source projects that
currently have pod (plane old ddl :) in their source tree, where
ddlutils would be very useful..
When we are closer to a release, I will try to propose usage of
ddlutils to some of those projects.

> Also, I know this next question belongs on the Torque and OJB lists
> (but I'm not on those and I don't feel like joining if the answer to
> this question is "no").  Do both of them require pre-compiled Java
bean
> classes for their persistence?   Or do they have support for using
> DynaBeans (or similar) like DDLUtil does?

Afaik, out of the box they both need pre-compiled java classes, though
I think OJB is flexible enough to add support for eg DynaBeans. I am not
an expert at all on this, so your safest bet is to ask the questions on
the torque and ojb lists anyway.

Mvgr,
Martin

the system manager.