db-ddlutils-user mailing list archives

From <stathatos2004-l...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Are catalog and schema names largely ignored?
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 01:56:23 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
On 11/30/05, stathatos2004-list@yahoo.com <stathatos2004-list@yahoo.com> wrote:

I started looking into DdlUtils as a very attractive approach to deal  with automatic database
creation and evolution. After doing some tests  (with postgres so far) and looking into the
code, it seems that the  catalogs and schemas of tables are ignored in several places (through
 out?) including database comparisons, databases XML I/O, and SQL  generation. As a result,
if a user has access to more than one schemas  (possibly sharing some table names) things
usually don't work. Is this  a correct assesemt or am I missing something? If it is correct,
is this  intentional for some reason or a current implementation limitation?

The problem is that the jdbc drivers largely ignore them. E.g.
Connection.setCatalog does nothing in the PostgreSQL JDBC driver. So
if you want to use them, for now you have to use qualified table
names.
DdlUtils could however do the name concatenation which would allow to
use the same XML file with different database schemas. Perhaps you
could create an issue in DdlUtils' JIRA ?

Tom

      In order for me to understand the problem (and create the appropriate  issue) I'd like
to know what is an instance of the Database class  supposed to represent. Is it a "real" database
that can possibly  include multiple catalogs and schemas? Or is it a just a "schema", i.e.
 a single space of unique tables?

  My guess is it's the latter which looks like a better choice. If that's  indeed the case,
then I believe that there need to be some changes in  the API to allow better (more explicit)
handling of catalogs/schemas,  hopefully independently from the capabilities of the JDBC Driver.

  I will try to create the issue on JIRA and maybe suggest some changes.