db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Release candidate 1 cut
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 21:08:07 GMT
Hi Thomas,

Congratulations on the milestone.

On May 11, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Thomas Dudziak wrote:

> On 5/11/07, Jean T. Anderson <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>
>> ok, but any build that gets voted on to become a release must have
>> those
>> signatures (we vote on the actual bits that get released).
>
> Well, yes, but we only sign releases, not release candidates (which
> are not releases per definition). Or to put it differently, signing
> the artifacts is part of the release process, not of the released
> artifacts for which the vote was put forward.

Part of the vetting process for a release is to check that the
signatures are ok (verify the signature is valid, looking for the
signature in the KEYS file, etc.) Once the release bits (including
signatures and checksums) are voted, it's not ok to change (add or
remove) anything.

>> from what I've seen, it's more common than not to include a src
>> distribution.
>
> Yeah, not to mention that I like downloading src distributions so that
> I can attach source files to libraries that I use :-)

I've heard folks say that "Apache is an open source organization, and
the releases are source releases". Projects are free to release
binaries as a convenience to users who might not want to build, but
it's not the primary objective.

>> The apply-license.html page says a txt extension is permitted (big
>> warning: this page isn't in complete sync yet with
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html):
>>
>>     http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#license-file-name
>>
>> In other words, a txt extension isn't necessary. :-)
>
> Yeah, and I prefer having them - makes life easier for those non-*nix
> users, where a missing file extension confuses the 'shell' :-)

Yeah, it's your choice whether to use an extension or not.

Craig

> cheers,
> Tom

Craig Russell