db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From "David Sills" <DSi...@datasourceinc.com>
Subject Questions about native types
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2007 06:36:35 GMT

Tom:

Sorry I've been out of touch - illness, death of a friend, and a sudden
emergency at work contributed. However, I have been thinking about the
question of adding native types to the XML database model generated by
DdlUtils.

One question that occurred to me (and which will lead, I expect, to
several others) is the question of whether or not any single database
should be immortalized in a database model. This would simplify matters,
of course, in that there would be a single XML for the database, but it
struck me that it might not be a particularly flexible plan.

Perhaps the native type information for a particular database might be
stored in a separate XML file (perhaps able to include the abstract
database model, if it was desired to have them both accessible within a
single DOM)? In that way, multiple database models could refer to the
same abstract model, a functionality possibly useful when converting
from one database type to another.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, unless someone is doing work I didn't
notice on this issue already. I have given thought to unit testing this
issue, but it's rather daunting, given that I don't even have more than
half the databases DdlUtils supports. However, each bridge as we meet
it, no?

I hope everyone on the list enjoyed a lovely New Years Day!

David