db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running Code Analyzer
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:26:21 GMT
On 4/21/06, Tom Schindl <tomatlinux@gmx.at> wrote:

> Well suppose I'm writing a modelling tool based upon your Model-Classes
> having created 2 tables and foreign key constraint. After that I see
> that I have a typo in the name of the the foreign-key provider table, if
> I now rename the table by setting setName() the ForgeinKey-Reference
> doesn't get informed about this and as result the internal structure is
> broken:
>
> _foreignTableName != _foreignTable.getName()
>
> if i would now write dump the the files to db.xml I could not load it
> the next time.
>
> The same applies when renaming columns ;-) I think all this situations
> can be dealt with easily when adding PropertyChangeSupport to all model
> classes and e.g. the foreignKey-Instance adds itself to the
> PropertyChangeListeners and updates its _foreignTableName-Attribute when
> the table name changes.

I can see what you mean, though I probably wouldn't use events for
this. The major problem is that for parsing from XML it is currently
necessary to have some duplicated data such as the table names in the
foreign keys.
A much better solution would be to retrieve this name of the
referenced table from the table object directly which would eliminate
all these problems. Unfortunatley, I havn't had the time yet to
implement the two-pass parsing algorithm (first only the independent
items, i.e. the tables/columns, and then the depending items, e.g.
foreign keys, indexes) necessary for this.

Tom