db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running Code Analyzer
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:33:23 GMT
On 4/20/06, Tom Schindl <tomatlinux@gmx.at> wrote:

> if just installed the TPTP-Plugin and started an analyzing run and it
> shows up 7575 more of less questionable results, starting from missing
> breaks in switch case block to hardcoded \r\n's.
>
> Should I provide patches to calm down the analyzer because then it would
>  may spot better really questionable constructs like the above
> mentionned missing breaks.

You should take these with a big grain of salt. A default
configuration of PMD would probably show about the same amount of
'issues', but a lot of these are either personal style (e.g. number of
'duplicated strings' which does not work well when logging is used
heavily) , or have to be analyzed manually (such as the 'missing
break' which might or might not be intentional).
As it is, I'm quite satisified with the code style-wise (not to
mention that DdlUtils has a configured Checkstyle process which works
nicely), so I'd rather not start with this.

Once the 1.0 is out, I probably configure PMD in order to enhance the
code review process, but currently IMO it would be way more beneficial
to finish the 1.0 which only misses the revised alteration algorithm
that I'm currently working on, and a few of the issues that make sense
for the 1.0.

cheers,
Tom