db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r365722 - /db/ddlutils/trunk/src/test/org/apache/ddlutils/io/ConstraintsTestBase.java
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:33:35 GMT

Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On 1/4/06, Martin van den Bemt <mllist@mvdb.net> wrote:
>
>>If you don't mind : I am adding mysql anyway for now, since it almost needs lots of
extensionsof the
>>xml models (lot's of issues with equals on table names).
>>I would appreciate it, if you don't touch these classes tonight or tomorrow during
the day, since I
>>really need working mysql integration at work tomorrow.
>

> What version of MySql are you using ?

4.1.13 on windows 2000. Default install. After I hit the problem I tried fiddling with the

lower_case_table_names setting and 2 gave some reasonable results, but if you do a rerun of
the
tests a couple of times, it is not that predictable anymore...

>>If you have better ideas with this mysql shite, I like to hear it :).
>>One solution could be to make all table names lowercase in the tests, but that will
probably
>>conflict with a database that only supports uppercase tablenames..
>>The commits will contain links to the mysql documents that talk about this issue.
>

> Actually, I think one of the SQL standards *requires* the databases to
> convert table names to uppercase in undelimited mode (and to use them
> as-is in delimited mode), so I think the problem lies elsewhere.

The tests are with delimited table names. Maybe just changing that could do the trick, but
we also
want something working with delimeters I guess :)
Maybe you missed this link about the case sensitivity :
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/name-case-sensitivity.html (added that in MysqlModelReader).
But I guess we will end up trying to work around these problems, since mysql is used pretty
much, or
maybe we should state on the website to use lowercase tablenames to be on the safe site or
even
maybe add a setting to not quote any tablenames.
Btw if I create a table in mysql administrator in capitals (on anaother mysql instance, on
windows
XP, default install), it will create the table with lowercase names.

> I can have a quick look at it tomorrow or in the next like 20 minutes
> if you want ?

A sanity check would be nice..  I'll focus on the Datatypes and a double roundtrip, since

roundtripping doesn't cover everything (eg the stuff that I wrote on the wiki about automatic

conversion of VARCHAR 1024 to TEXT, which when reading back from mysql returns a LONGVARCHAR
type,
which ends up in mysql again as MEDIUMTEXT, you get the drift).

Mvgr,
Martin