db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r365722 - /db/ddlutils/trunk/src/test/org/apache/ddlutils/io/ConstraintsTestBase.java
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:24:35 GMT

> Column names in delimited mode works correctly in mysql. I think axion had the same kind
of
> semantics with a difference in behaviour in delimiting tables and column names (although
I am not
> sure anymore these days :)

But I think we can change that nonetheless, so we don't need the
Mysql-specific test cases anymore. I'll do that later on unless you
beat me to it :-)

> Hitting boundaries is pretty simple indeed and testing the database a bit is quite inevitable
(hope
> that is english:) if you consider some user scenario's. (eg difference in behaviour of
MyISAM and
> innoDB).

IMO we should change the tests then, because as I said, we do not test
the database (and we make no assumptions as to whether the values
specified by a user e.g. for a default value, is valid for a given
database).

> It worked a lot better in 3.x, see complaints in comment of the link I send :)
> Hope 5 does a better job, but I will test on that first with the new base tests you created
last night.

I would not be suprised if we have to create three platforms, for
MySql 3, 4, and 5.

> Sweet.. I'll have a look at that and see if it solves (part) of the problem..
> In any case roundtripping a VARCHAR of 1024 is going to be tedious, since I have no way
of knowing
> what the original definition was. The only thing I know from eg MEDIUMTEXT resulting
from the
> VARCHAR 1024 is that the size specified in the VARCHAR is at least xxxx (couldn't find
a reference
> yet..). Afaik Oracle just accepts a VARCHAR of 1024 without messing with your type.

The relevant thing is what the JDBC driver returns because it has to
convert this to a JDBC type. Use the DumpMetadataTask for checking
what the JDBC metadata for a given database is.

Tom