db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Todo/issues. to handle before release..
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:10:49 GMT
Hi Thom,

On Dec 20, 2005, at 4:04 PM, Thomas Dudziak wrote:

> On 12/21/05, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Java Persistence and JDO have a huge synergy with DdlUtils. If you
>> use
>> DdlUtils as the repository of database schema, you can read the
>> schema from
>> a database and generate JDO or JP metadata and persistent classes
>> from the
>> DDU.
>>
>> In the reverse direction, you can generate DDU from the JDO or JP
>> classes
>> and then create the schema from the DDU. The JDO project earlier
>> looked at
>> how to integrate DDU into the existing persistence model and
>> concluded that
>> it's some work but definitely no showstoppers.
>
> Sounds good ! Does a XSLT suffice for JDO2 database metadata, or
> should DdlUtils (after 1.0) perhaps be able to read/write JDO2
> database metadata ?

Today there is no JDO2 database metadata, only Java and persistence
metadata. So there is no compatibility issue, we're talking about a
greenfield project.

Once we are into the part of the project when we can look at this,
there are a number of components that need to be implemented. We
would probably want to build an interface and a memory model to read
and write DDU; and then other components that will use the memory
model to map to persistence and vice versa.

Regards,

Craig

> Tom

Craig Russell