db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Todo/issues. to handle before release..
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:42:18 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On 12/21/05, Jean T. Anderson <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jean,
>
>>I'm a committer on derby (and on the db pmc). I'm definitely interested
>>it using it and showing how it can be used with derby. If somebody can
>>point me to a simple example or to a test I could turn into an example,
>>that might be a good way to get me started.
>
> The OJB-Derby sample that we did at ApacheCon already uses DdlUtils,
> so just have a look at it :-)

yeah, but that OJB example *you* got working is pretty complicated, at
least for a derby user not familiar with all the components (btw, I
really appreciated you doing all that OJB work -- thanks again! ). I'll
extract a simple DdlUtils example from it, then add back to it for the
larger OJB example.

> Right now, I'm adding unit tests for DdlUtils and I'm using Derby for
> that, so for a really short sample of the Ant task adapted from the
> DdlUtils unit tests:
>
>     <taskdef name="ddl2Database"
>              classname="org.apache.ddlutils.task.DdlToDatabaseTask"
>              classpathref="compilation-classpath"/>
>     <ddl2Database>
>       <database driverclassname="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"
>                 url="jdbc:derby:target/database/ddlutils"
>                 username="app"
>                 password=""/>
>       <fileset dir="${src.schema.dir}"
>                  includes="*schema.xml"/>
>
>       <createdatabase failonerror="true"/>
>       <writeschematodatabase alterdatabase="false"/>
>     </ddl2Database>
>
> The API is not really diffcult either:
>
> http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/api-usage.html

Fortunately DdlUtils looks small enough to be easily grasped. Thanks
again for aleady doing the Derby work on it.

  -jean