db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Failing tests testColumnConstraints + location integration / roundtrip tests
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 00:10:29 GMT

> > Mhm, methinks the line is a bit blurry here. After all DdlUtils is
> > specifically meant to work against databases, so you could rightfully
> > call these tests unit tests.
>
> Think we just have different definitions of what a unit test should cover :)

As I said, the line is a bit blurry. Normally you would just say
'create database' and then check what's in the database. But that is a
bit difficult to do generically, so I combined that with the reverse
direction of reading back a database (-> roundtrip).
Likewise, for testing that data insertion works you need a database to
insert into, so you would combine that with database creation. And
voila, you get what the roundtrip tests are currently doing.
Also, allmost every test currently defined for DdlUtils is rather an
integration test than a unit test because they test the functionality
of DdlUtils rather then individual methods. But I think that is ok
because DdlUtils is a somewhat small library, and testing individual
methods or small classes might be difficult.

> But I agree that we can move them to a
> > separate place, though I'd prefer still in the test source tree (e.g.
> > to a separate package). Another source tree makes the build process
> > more complicated, and there are dependencies from the tests against
> > the databases to the other tests.
>
> Does the dbtest package sound ok to you ?

Let me finish the tests first, and then we can rename the package to
whatever we want, e.g. org.apache.ddlutils.roundtrip or something ?

Tom