db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Todo/issues. to handle before release..
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:42:29 GMT

> > Really ? We cannot bootstrap a Maven2 plugin without Maven2 ? That's strange ...
> > If that's true, then we should definitely have a sub project for that.
>
> It is probably possible, but it is more work to do that so maven users can use the plugin
easily than to write the plugin itself...

A separate sub project is no problem anyways, so using Maven2 to build
the plugin should be no problem.

> At least for myself, I don't like commenting out stuff so I make it automatic when I
really hit the issue (for the embedded ones I didn't have any problems yet)

For embedded dbs that may be possible (so that the user only has to
add the jdbc driver to  the lib directory), but for the not-embedded
the user has to adapt the settings.
But this way is IMO the simplest one because the user only has to
change one file and supply one jar (for the driver).

> Hope we can reuse the oracle9 driver.. If that is not working, I rather see a test setup
of oracle 9, to see if the problem is there too, so we don't break the integration for oracle9
(this is kind of a problem when not having all other environments to comapre it with).

I think it is the oracle10 driver, but it might work. Actually I don't
think that it differs in anything that DdlUtils uses.

> One last issue comes to mind : It's going to be hard to cut a release with just you having
a binding vote and even when my vote would be legally binding (by being on the PMC), we are
still 1 binding vote short...
> Don't actually know if my vote is binding, just because I am a Jakart PMC member / Gump
PMC member ?
> I'll hassle Cliff on legal with this :)

The main question is: is it ok if enough PMC members vote yes even if
they are not (active) committers of the project (but assuming that
they actually checked the project). A lot of the DB comitters members
have commit rights on DdlUtils, and some of them PMC members.

Perhaps we can interest some other PMC members to take a slightly more
active role in DdlUtils, e.g. actively using it and perhaps running
the tests and checking the docs ?

Tom