db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Todo/issues. to handle before release..
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:58:13 GMT
Pop..Pop..Pop

Nothing to do with the subject, of course, but with the synergy in DB
project.

Java Persistence and JDO have a huge synergy with DdlUtils. If you
use DdlUtils as the repository of database schema, you can read the
schema from a database and generate JDO or JP metadata and persistent
classes from the DDU.

In the reverse direction, you can generate DDU from the JDO or JP
classes and then create the schema from the DDU. The JDO project
earlier looked at how to integrate DDU into the existing persistence
model and concluded that it's some work but definitely no showstoppers.

All we need is resources...

Craig

On Dec 20, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Thomas Dudziak wrote:

> On 12/21/05, Jean T. Anderson <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jean,
>
>> I'm a committer on derby (and on the db pmc). I'm definitely
>> interested
>> it using it and showing how it can be used with derby. If somebody
>> can
>> point me to a simple example or to a test I could turn into an
>> example,
>> that might be a good way to get me started.
>
> The OJB-Derby sample that we did at ApacheCon already uses DdlUtils,
> so just have a look at it :-)
> Right now, I'm adding unit tests for DdlUtils and I'm using Derby for
> that, so for a really short sample of the Ant task adapted from the
> DdlUtils unit tests:
>
>     <taskdef name="ddl2Database"
>              classname="org.apache.ddlutils.task.DdlToDatabaseTask"
>              classpathref="compilation-classpath"/>
>     <ddl2Database>
>       <database driverclassname="org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver"
>                 url="jdbc:derby:target/database/ddlutils"
>                 username="app"
>                 password=""/>
>       <fileset dir="${src.schema.dir}"
>                  includes="*schema.xml"/>
>
>       <createdatabase failonerror="true"/>
>       <writeschematodatabase alterdatabase="false"/>
>     </ddl2Database>
>
> The API is not really diffcult either:
>
> http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/api-usage.html
>
> Tom