db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: docs and other directories..
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:41:30 GMT

> > Actually I don't think a single model for the test is useful. Rather,
> > we should have different models for testing certain aspects. Eg. a
> > dedicated model to test foreignkeys (including perhaps circular
> > relationships), a dedicated model to test blobs etc.
> > Also I'm more into putting the model into the test case, makes it IMO
> > easier to keep them in sync and to read the test (all stuff necessary
> > to understand the test in one place).
>
> The downside is that it is a pain to maintain the model xml in a java
> class, or you want to create the model directly from the model classes ?

For the model size that is IMO sufficient for the tests (about the
size of the models that are already used in the unit tests), I
actually think that they are easier to maintain in the code than i
separate files. I mean, a separate file would give you only a benefit
if you use a dedicated XML editor (which checks the XML syntax &
against the DTD) but you easily get this by running the test anyway.
And with inlining the short model, you don't have to worry about
classpath and ensure somehow that the test model files are in the
classpath, or load from file and force the execution of the tests in a
specific place. And with inlining you simple use a StringReader ..
The biggest benefit however IMO is that all is in one place. If
somebody wants to read the tests to gain info about how to use a
specific feature, or how DdlUtils maps something, then all info is in
one specific place, not spread out in multiple files.

> >>And another one : do you still have some more package renamings coming
> >>and if you do, which packages (so I can leave these packages alone for
> >>the time being)
> >
> > What large scale stuff do you plan to do ? ;-)
> > I think the package structure should be good now and the platform
> > concept works IMO very nicely.
>
> Nothing specific, but if packages move or classes get renamed when there
> are outstanding changes, it can be quite a pain.

Well, yes, everybody has been through that - merging your own changes
with those of others. But I think, DdlUtils is simple enough to make
that rather painless.
If I think a package should be renamed, I'll ask whether we should do so, ok ?

Tom