db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: The ToDo list..
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 22:55:38 GMT

Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On 10/28/05, Martin van den Bemt <mllist@mvdb.net> wrote:
>

>>Sweet.. I did some "reverse" mapping in my fork, so I could probably
>>port those mappings to the new stuff you'r doing..
>
> DdlUtils should IMO at least be able to reverse (via the model reader)
> the database layout it created in the first place (roundtrip).

I agree we first need to get the roundtrip working, though I also think
the step after that should be to improve the import from an existing
database, which should give (new) users a nice starting point to start
using ddl-utils. Currently a pretty big mess is created (withouth having
looked at your refactorings you may have done in this area though). I
love the idea to import a mssql schema and directly export it to hsqldb
without real effort.

>>Maybe we also need some integration test (sub) projects or (ant) build
>>conditionals, so people can test on a specific database when it's present ?
>

> Mhmm, something like Ant's <if> task should be easily doable. Where do
> you see a use for this ?

This way you can have tests for all supported databasetypes and just
enable the ones that you actually have installed. Also being able to
test different drivers per database (eg mssql the MS driver and JTDS)
can give pretty usefull feedback. Would be nice if we are able to test
them all. I should be able to run those roundtrip tests on at least the
java databases, mysql, mssql and oracle.

>>I can have a look at that, but this heavily depends on the reverse
>>mapping working correctly. I also have a method called
>>isUpToDate(Database database), which could also be usefull in ddl-utils
>>and needs a good functioning reverse mapping..
>

> That would be good!

I'll move it over to ddl-utils..

Mvgr,
Martin