db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kalén <mka...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Package names
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 09:00:04 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
>>Before we do the interface extraction, I'd like to discuss the
>>objectives. For example, I think typed returns from collection-valued
>>methods are easier to use and more robust than untyped returns. In the
>>Table class, there are e.g. Set getColumns() which I'd prefer
>>Set<Column> if we think it's ok to support only JDK 5, or Column[ ]
>>getColumns() or if the objective is to support earlier versions of JDK.
>
> Java 5-only is not possible as DdlUtils is meant to be used by OJB and
> Torque which both have a minimum requirement of Java 2 (1.2).

I agree that Java 5 will inhibit the possibility to re-use DdlUtils for
many other Apache projects, however I think that at least for OJB it
has been voted (or at least informally decided) to drop support for JDK1.2.

I propose that DdlUtils set J2SE 1.3 as minimum requirement, so that
we don't have to deal with any (rather ancient...) 1.2 issues.

If Torque still has 1.2-support I would rather like to see a vote for
that support beeing dropped in an upcoming release, in preparation for
DdlUtils-use. Since I guess the integration will take quite some time
I think there is a big enough "timeslot" to ask the userbase and discuss
among the developers.

What say the Torque people?

Regards,
  Martin