db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject DdlUtils package
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:47:30 GMT
Hi Tom,

Thanks for this info. I'm copying some folks from Sun who will be
involved in a database modeling project (I'll get them on this alias as
soon as possible).

We (the Sun Java System Application Server and Netbeans implementation
teams) have been working in this area for a while and would like to
contribute toward making the Ddlutils project usable for a variety of
applications.

> http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/
>
> DdlUtils and its site are freshly migrated, I need to update and
> enhance it in the next days. Feel free to register at the mailing
> lists:
>
> ddlutils-dev-subscribe@db.apache.org
> <mailto:ddlutils-dev-subscribe@db.apache.org>
> ddlutils-user-subscribe@db.apache.org
> <mailto:ddlutils-user-subscribe@db.apache.org>
>
> FYI, one of the main purposes of the migration of commons-sql to
> db.apache.org is that Torque and OJB (and others) can create/maintain
> a common codebase for DDL-related stuff, e.g. working with a database
> schema in code, creating/altering/deleting/dumping this database
> schema etc.

I looked very briefly at the http accessible svn repository, but I
can't figure out the svn command to check out the repository. (Stupid
newbie question... sorry)

It looks like there are implementation classes of the model but no
interfaces. For our purposes, model interfaces are a requirement. The
model needs to run in a few different environments (IDE, app server
runtime, batch) and we need somewhat different implementations for each
environment.

Would you be open to defining interfaces for the classes?

If so, the current classes could become an implementation of the
interfaces, and the xml reader and writer classes could instantiate a
factory for the interfaces and then use the factory to create instances
as it read in the xml file.

I understand that we are coming late to this party, so apologize in
advance.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Russell