db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Package names
Date Sun, 01 May 2005 00:45:01 GMT
Hi Tom,

On that same topic, if there are interfaces that we want to expose, and
implementations of the interfaces that are typically hidden, we need
factories that can produce the implementation classes. This leads to a
bootstrap issue: how to instantiate a factory.

There are several options that we've used to solve the factory
bootstrap issue, and once we make a decision on the interfaces, the
factories are the next step toward a solution.

The solution that we choose will affect the interfaces as well. I'm
comfortable with a pattern in which the interface for Table for example
includes a factory method for Column. So once you have solved the top
level bootstrap issue, you have factories for all the subordinate
interfaces built into the interfaces themselves.

Another issue I'd like to talk about is the handling of Catalog and
Schema. It appears that in a Database, you can have Tables that are of
different catalogs and schema, but when you find a Table in a database,
you ignore the catalog and schema. Is it possible to have a Database
with two tables with the same name but different catalogs and schema?
Or will that result in a name clash?

Craig