db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: DdlUtils package
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2005 01:52:11 GMT
Hi Tom,

On Apr 27, 2005, at 3:04 PM, Thomas Dudziak wrote:

>> I looked very briefly at the http accessible svn repository, but I
>> can't figure out the svn command to check out the repository. (Stupid
>> newbie question... sorry)
>
> Here's the basic Apache-specific SVN info:
>
> http://apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn
>
> Depending on your client (don't know about NetBeans's SVN
> capabilities) you'd simply point it to
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/ddlutils/ or
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/ddlutils/trunk (that's the Head)
> and check it out. Checking-out should work for everbody, only
> check-ins require authentication.

Got it. I was able to check out the repository.

>> It looks like there are implementation classes of the model but no
>> interfaces. For our purposes, model interfaces are a requirement. The
>> model needs to run in a few different environments (IDE, app server
>> runtime, batch) and we need somewhat different implementations for
>> each
>> environment.
>>
>> Would you be open to defining interfaces for the classes?
>
> That's certainly possible, though I'd like to write the unit tests
> first - DdlUtils is really lacking in this area, and I'd really prefer
> to have the safety-net priot to any major changes.

We are prepared to start working on the interfaces sorta right now, and
of course will use the "normal" test-first strategy of writing JUnit
tests before checking in anything.

>> If so, the current classes could become an implementation of the
>> interfaces, and the xml reader and writer classes could instantiate a
>> factory for the interfaces and then use the factory to create
>> instances
>> as it read in the xml file.
>
> Mhmm, I have to check how to do that with commons-betwixt, though I
> guess that should be possible. I wanted to update to commons-betwixt
> 0.61-dev anyway so I might as well check on this.

The betwixt stuff is a bit confusing for me right now, but it's not
clear that it needs to be understood before working on the interfaces.

>> I understand that we are coming late to this party, so apologize in
>> advance.
>
> No need to, actually the former commons-sql lay around for quite some
> time until I realized that it would be quite useful for OJB and joined
> it as a comitter. Now in db.apache.org it finally gets some attention
> Perhaps you'd even like to join as a comitter ? I mean, any help is
> always welcome ;-)

There are a few folks here who would be able to be committers pretty
fast. We have a lot of experience in db modeling and would just need to
get some email dialog going so as to mesh with what you guys already
have in place. We are used to putting pieces together from various
sources and making the stuff work.

Craig

> Tom

Craig Russell