db-ddlutils-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DdlUtils package
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:04:12 GMT
> I looked very briefly at the http accessible svn repository, but I
> can't figure out the svn command to check out the repository. (Stupid
> newbie question... sorry)

Here's the basic Apache-specific SVN info:

http://apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn

Depending on your client (don't know about NetBeans's SVN
capabilities) you'd simply point it to
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/ddlutils/ or
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/ddlutils/trunk (that's the Head)
and check it out. Checking-out should work for everbody, only
check-ins require authentication.

> It looks like there are implementation classes of the model but no
> interfaces. For our purposes, model interfaces are a requirement. The
> model needs to run in a few different environments (IDE, app server
> runtime, batch) and we need somewhat different implementations for each
> environment.
>
> Would you be open to defining interfaces for the classes?

That's certainly possible, though I'd like to write the unit tests
first - DdlUtils is really lacking in this area, and I'd really prefer
to have the safety-net priot to any major changes.

> If so, the current classes could become an implementation of the
> interfaces, and the xml reader and writer classes could instantiate a
> factory for the interfaces and then use the factory to create instances
> as it read in the xml file.

Mhmm, I have to check how to do that with commons-betwixt, though I
guess that should be possible. I wanted to update to commons-betwixt
0.61-dev anyway so I might as well check on this.

> I understand that we are coming late to this party, so apologize in
> advance.

No need to, actually the former commons-sql lay around for quite some
time until I realized that it would be quite useful for OJB and joined
it as a comitter. Now in db.apache.org it finally gets some attention
Perhaps you'd even like to join as a comitter ? I mean, any help is
always welcome ;-)

Tom